I have now completed and rendered the low-poly temple environment I have been working on in Blender, which has gone through some significant changes in its realisation.
My main changes were to the lighting and the environment since my last post. I experimented with ways to get the torches I had modelled to emit light, and was successful by placing lamp light sources in each one of the models and turning off cast shadows (so it would glow through the objects, making it look like they produced the light). I did a similar thing in this previous render when I was originally introduced to blender.
Doing this made me realise the effectiveness of lighting the scene like this and the potential, so I turned down the original light sources – the sun and the ambient world lighting – so that the scene was largely lit by the objects of the scene, making it look natural with a greater range. Now, it is presented as if at night time.
Following this I created a path for a camera fly-through to survey the scene and output as a video. To facilitate this, as well as using keyframes to animate the camera and create a smooth motion through the environment, I also had to add greater detail to the environment so the sudden end of the world’s model was not visible. This resulted in me producing a more detailed environment than I originally planned which I am now quite pleased with. I expanded the modelled environment to include an additional building in the back of the shrine with a larger light source at the centre, and made the mountain ranges much larger through modelling to keep the background looking complete. I also added some stone areas among the grass material, to add variety. Although the scene was done in a low-poly style, this did not mean it had to be all low-detail.
The video of the camera fly-through is currently uploading to vimeo, and will be posted in my next post with a personal review of this small project.